Cambiando Vidas y
Creando oportunidades
Contact US
TO SCHEDULE YOUR Consultation Today

    Nationwide T-2 Visa Lawyers

    Helping Spouses Complete and File T Visa Applications

    T visas were created to protect victims of human trafficking and their family members. When victims of human trafficking are afraid to come forward because of their immigration status, crimes go unreported, and criminals go unpunished. By being a T visa holder, victims remain safe from deportation and detainment as long as they comply with requests from law enforcement agencies.

    T-2 visas are given to the spouses of T1 visa holders. T1 visa holders are or have been victims of human trafficking or other sexual exploitation crimes. If your spouse is filing for a T1 visa, they can submit an application for a T-2 visa for you at the same time or a later date. A T-2 visa grants you lawful temporary residence in the United States so you can remain by your spouse’s side and support them as they go through this difficult time.

    If you would like to get a T-2 visa, consulting an experienced immigration legal team is essential. The application forms can be confusing, and incomplete or incorrect documents could lead to a denial. At Elizabeth Rosario Law, PLC, we have helped many clients receive their T visa and legally remain in the United States. For more information about T visas and how we can help you, call us today at  616-530-0101.

    What is a T-2 Visa?

    A T-2 visa is one type of T visa. T visas are issued to victims of human trafficking and their family members. With a T visa, holders cannot be deported or detained as long as they continue to assist law enforcement with investigating or prosecuting the crime. Certain family members of T1 visa holders, including spouses, also qualify for T visas.

    T visas were created by the Trafficking Victims Protection Act (TVPA) in 2000 to help victims of human trafficking hold their abusers accountable. Human trafficking includes any form of slavery or involuntary servitude where abusers use force, fraud, or coercion to receive labor or services. In many cases, human trafficking involves sexual exploitation and forced commercial sex work. T visas provide protection so victims can seek justice while remaining in the United States.

    Who is Eligible for a T-2 Visa?

    If your spouse is a T1 visa holder or applicant who meets the eligibility requirements, then you are eligible for a T-2 visa. Your spouse can file a T-2 visa application on your behalf when they apply for their own visa, or they can file at a later date.

    Below are the eligibility requirements for a T1 visa:

    • Your spouse was trafficked into the United States by use of force, deception, or misrepresentation
    • Your spouse was a victim of severe human trafficking
    • Your spouse is located in the United States, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, or other port of entry
    • Your spouse is willing and able to comply with law enforcement
    • Your spouse is admissible to the United States
    • Your spouse would suffer extreme hardship if they were removed from the United States

    How Do You Apply for a T-2 Visa?

    Your spouse must file Form I-914, Supplement A, the Application for Immediate Family Member of T-1 Recipient. Once this is approved, you can complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. You will also be required to upload a photo when submitting this application.

    If you live outside the United States, you must schedule an interview with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. An interview is generally required for individuals between the ages of 14 and 79. You must bring your passport, application confirmation, a photo of yourself, and a completed Form I-797 to this interview. You may also be required to bring additional documents.

    Whether you are currently in the United States or living outside of the country, applying for a T-2 visa can be confusing. It is highly recommended to consult with an attorney on our team before applying so you can ensure you are completing and filing the correct forms and documents. Reach out to our team today for more information.

    Can You Adjust Your Status as a T-2 Visa Holder?

    A significant benefit of being a T-2 visa holder is that you have the opportunity to apply for an adjustment of status. When you are granted a T-2 visa, you will automatically be granted lawful temporary resident status. After having a T-2 visa for three years, you can apply for lawful permanent resident status, also called a green card. You must have remained in the United States for those three years and have shown good moral character the whole time.

    Our team can help you file for an adjustment of status to remain in the United States on a permanent basis if that is your goal. As a T1 visa holder, your spouse can also file for an adjustment of status after three years.

    What Can an Immigration Lawyer Do for Me?

    Discovering that your spouse has been a victim of human trafficking is a heartbreaking experience. By getting a T1 visa, your spouse can protect themselves from deportation as they work with law enforcement to hold their abusers accountable. At the same time, you can get a T-2 visa to remain in the United States and support your spouse.

    All immigration matters can be confusing, and visas are especially so. Our team can help you gather the necessary information you need to file your application without missing or incorrect information. We can also help you file for a green card after you have had your visa for three years. Please don’t feel like you must navigate this difficult process on your own. Call Elizabeth Rosario Law, PLC. today at  616-530-0101