Cambiando Vidas y
Creando oportunidades
Contact US
TO SCHEDULE YOUR Consultation Today

    Nationwide Adjustment of Status Lawyers

    Helping Clients Obtain Permanent Residency in the United States

    People visiting the United States often wish they could change their status from non-immigrant to immigrant without returning to their home country. In most cases, you would be required to leave the country and come back with the correct visa or permissions. The good news is that by filing the proper forms and going through the immigration process, you can get an adjustment of status without having to go back home first. As with all immigration issues, the process can be complex and is best done with the help of a professional legal team to walk you through it all.

    At Elizabeth Rosario Law, PLC, our team has years of experience helping clients make immigration procedures simple and less complicated. Our lawyers can help clients nationwide with any immigration status and step in the process. If you would like to stay in the country legally to pursue your goals, don’t hesitate to reach out. Contact our office today by calling  616-530-0101.

    When Would You be Allowed to Adjust Your Status?

    When you apply for an adjustment of status, you will likely be asked to state the reason why you are applying. You will also most likely apply for a green card simultaneously, giving you legal permanent residence status (LPR). Your reasoning for applying for an adjustment of status can impact your ability to make the adjustment. With help from our legal team, we can review your case and guide you on the best path forward.

    Below are the reasons why you would be able to adjust your status:

    • Employment-based immigration, like an employer sponsorship
    • Family-based immigration, like sponsorship from a family member
    • Refugee or asylee status
    • Special immigration status
    • Human trafficking and other crimes victim status

    Depending on your reason for filing to adjust your status, there are different forms you may need to complete. Form I-130, Form 245i, Form I-765, and Form I-864 are all options you can choose from. Choosing the right form is the first step in filing for a change of status. If you are unsure which form to choose or how to access these forms, contact our office today for more information.

    How Do You Adjust Your Status?

    Before adjusting your status, determine which immigrant category you fit under. By selecting your category, you can see if you are eligible to file a green card application at the same time. There are eight green card eligibility categories that you may fall under, including family, employment, special immigrant, refugee, crime victims, victims of abuse, other, and registry.

    Once you have determined your category, file an immigration petition if necessary. Most green card applicants must file an immigration petition before filing for an adjustment of status. Typically, this petition is filed by someone else, also called a sponsor. However, it is possible to file this petition on your own if you need to. Our team can help you determine whether you need to file this petition, as there are many factors that impact whether it is necessary or not.

    Next, check for visa eligibility. You cannot file for an adjustment of status unless there is a visa available in your immigrant category. You can check the availability online at the U.S. State Department’s website.

    To submit an adjustment of status request, complete Form I-485, the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Completing this form accurately and completely is essential, and our team can help you gather all the necessary information for a smooth application process. Once your form is complete, file it and wait for a notice of your biometrics service appointment. At your appointment, you will have your fingerprints and photographs taken at your local Application Support Center (ASC).

    You may be asked to attend an interview with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In this interview, you will be asked questions under oath about the information you submitted in your form. You may also be asked to submit additional information if any included information is invalid or missing.

    You can check the status of your application online through the USCIS website or by calling their contact center. Once the USCIS makes a determination about your application, you will be notified via mail. If your application is approved, you will receive notice in the mail before getting your permanent resident card. If your application is denied, the letter will explain why and also whether you can appeal this decision. Our lawyers can help you submit an appeal if your application is not accepted.

    What Are the Benefits of Adjustment of Status?

    Filing for an adjustment of status can feel like a lengthy process, but many people prefer it to traditional immigration processes. The main benefit of filing for an adjustment of status is that you do not need to leave the country and return home for processing. Instead, you can deal with immigration authorities while remaining in the United States, saving you time and money.

    The one downside of filing for an adjustment of status is how long it can take. The USCIS is known for taking months or even over a year to process applications and paperwork. Working with our team to ensure your application has no errors or missing information can expedite the process and make it go faster.

    If your application is approved and you get a green card, you will have all the normal benefits that legal permanent residents receive. You will be eligible for citizenship, government assistance, Social Security benefits, and other beneficial programs. With the help of an immigration attorney on our team, you can move through the immigration system quickly and without issues. For assistance with paperwork or your application, contact our office today.

    Can an Immigration Lawyer Help Me?

    Gaining permanent residence is a goal for many people who come to the United States. Whether you want to be a citizen for employment opportunities, to be closer to an immediate relative, or for any other reason, a green card immigration lawyer on our team can help you. Our law firm has handled many legal issues pertaining to immigration status and benefits, and we are confident that with our background and history of results, we can help you through the adjustment of status and the green card process.

    At Elizabeth Rosario Law, PLC, we can guide you through any legal matter you are facing from start to finish. We understand that the immigration process can be confusing and overwhelming, especially if you are concerned that you have overstayed your visa. With help from the members of our team, you can become a U.S. citizen without spending time and resources on returning to your home country first. For more information about our services and how we can help you, contact our law office by calling  616-530-0101.